Pick a course:
Operations / Departmental Manager Level 5
Please use the drop-down menu to navigate and find out more information regarding this course.
What is this Course about?
All courses work towards a nationally agreed standard, which has been developed by employers and educators in partnership. This means that we are creating a set of core principles for management that all managers will meet. The sharing of knowledge, the application of skills and the evidence of behaviour are the three elements every course will look to achieve.
An operations/departmental manager is someone who manages teams, resources and/or projects and plays a key role in achieving operational or departmental goals and objectives. This course is aimed to develop leadership capability, business acumen and practical management skills to succeed in a global business environment. It will attract new talent into management and will help to up-skill the workforce overall.
What Will I Learn? (Knowledge and Skills)
There are several modules as part of the course and these include (but are not limited to):
- Developing self and others
Self-awareness, partnership working and effective communication
- Leading and Managing People
Structure, culture, diversity and inclusion, self-assessment, leadership styles, team working
- Operational Management
Operational management processes and practices, performance management, data evaluation, decision making
- Project Management
The course overall requires that you complete a ‘live’ project based on your organisation. This includes project management methodology, change management and continuous improvement.
- Finance and Accounting
Financial management principles and practices, governance, compliance, reporting, budget management
What will I develop? (Behaviours)
Every course has core behaviours that we’d expect to see displayed by managers at this level. You’ll work through the knowledge qualification and apply this to show skills development. Behaviours are usually observed within the workplace through peers, colleagues and your coach. Core behaviours for management level 5 are: takes responsibility, is inclusive, agile and professional.
Functional Skills in Maths and English
If you don’t already have a grade C or above in GCSE then you’ll need to complete Level 2 Functional Skills.
At Xtp we are committed to developing these skills throughout your time with us. You will receive an initial assessment and, if you have not already achieved A*- C GCSE in these subjects, you will be supported in working towards this during your time with us.
What do I need to do?
There are a number of parts to the training, which include:
- Successfully pass your functional skills (if applicable)
- Complete written assessments to evidence your knowledge on an ongoing basis during the course, backed up with a synoptic knowledge test at the end
- Build and create an online portfolio of evidence
- Take part in a structured interview to showcase what has been learned and how it has applied it.
- Complete a work-based project and take part in a Q&A session to discuss your project findings and how it will impact on your organisation
- Participate in a professional discussion to explain how you have developed during the course and how this can be applied to your role and workplace
End Point Assessment
The Level 5 Operations/Departmental Manager course is assessed at the end of the programme by an Independent Assessor. This will be in conjunction with the employer and training provider. Final sign off will be given by the End Point Assessment Organisation.
How long is the course and where will it be taught?
How Much Will It Cost?
What Will I Achieve?
You will achieve a Level 5 Diploma in Operations/Departmental Manager. This includes a Level 5 ILM Diploma. You also have the opportunity to apply for Chartered Manager status, subject to meeting minimum experience requirements.
Where Can I Go Next?
The Level 5 Operations/Departmental Manager qualification can lead to a number of higher education qualifications, including diplomas at level 6 and 7.
How do I Apply?
* Subject to eligibility. In addition to the eligibility criteria funding is also dependent on you being in permanent employment and your employer agreeing to give you the time to complete your qualification during your normal hours of work.